Stay Motivated and Prevent Burnout with a Homemaking Manifesto

Home is not a place, its a feeling. As a homemaker, my role is not just to make sure the carpets are vacuumed and dinner is on the table, its to cultivate a feeling of rest, relaxation, and welcoming. Its to create the feeling of our home. 
Its not always easy to remember that though. In our fast paced world, we're often trying to juggle multiple responsibilities at once. Work, family, friends, kids, hobbies, previous commitments - it can all be a bit overwhelming. And once we're overwhelmed, we lose sight of our goals and the intentions we set for ourselves. Homemaking becomes just a list of chores and we may find ourselves wondering why we have to be the ones to cook dinner every night or why no one else is capable of putting the dishes in the dishwasher. Those thoughts are typically signs of burnout and, if left unattended, can turn into feelings of anger and apathy. 

Burnout can be tricky and recovery takes time. Which is why the best strategy for treating burnout is prevention. Stay motivated, stay inspired, and practice self care regularly. Remind yourself of your intentions, goals, and vision for your home by creating a Homemaking Manifesto.

The Homemaking Manifesto
A manifesto is a declaration of your intentions, opinions, and vision. I first came across the idea for a homemaking manifesto on Hilary Bernstein’s blog No Place Like Home. She introduced it as an easy way to stay motivated and on track. I’ve found it also helps remind me of why chose to be a homemaker and helps me get past those days when I feel unappreciated or overwhelmed.

Here’s a peak at my own homemaking manifesto:

I believe…
A home is not a place, but a feeling.
A home is where people feel welcome, relaxed, safe, and loved.
A home nurtures the lives of everyone who lives there.
Home doesn’t have to be fancy, expensive, or trendy.
Comfort, functionality, and frugality reign.
A home is not perfect.
Homemaking should be simple and practical, not stressful.
Homemaking is a practice that can be learned and improved on.
Everyone can be equipped to become the homemaker they want to be.

I love…
Cooking delicious, healthy, and comforting meals.
Spending quality time with my husband, friends, and family.
Developing my skills as a homemaker and sharing my tips and tricks along the way.
Incorporating nature into my home and life.

I am committed to…
Making my friends and family feel loved and cared for.
Focusing on living a balanced, healthy life and helping my loved ones do the same.
Tending to my home as much as my schedule allows.
Creating a home that welcomes and nurtures all who enter.
Forgetting about perfection and instead focusing on enjoying life’s little moments.

Want to create your own? It’s simple! Take some time to think about the following:
  • What you love;
  • What you believe; and
  • What you’re committed to.

Comments

Popular Posts