5 Ways To ROCK IT At Any Age

Who says you can't continue rocking life as you get older? In fact, let me introduce you to someone:
Mamy Rock
Mamy Rock, also known as Ruth Flowers, became an international sensation when she became "the matriarch and the hippest English deejay." Ruth found her calling as a DJ when she went with her grandson to a disco in London. At 80 years old, the European Press declared Mamy Rock a role model as well as a fashion and glamor icon. 

I find Mamy Rock incredibly inspiring. Many of us grew up hearing about what was and was not appropriate for our age, gender, any number of things. Well, forget those lessons. Who says we have to live life according to someone else's guidelines or values? To me, truly living means living the life I want and enjoy. Truly living means choosing my own path and listening to what my body, mind, and spirit are telling me.
Check out her full story here!

Need some ideas on how to begin living the life you want? Here's 5 ways to ROCK IT at any age:

1. Be true to yourself.
Find out what makes you happy, what you're passionate about, and what works for you. I am constantly having to check in with myself to see if what I am thinking, doing, or aspiring to is something that I came up with and not a seed that was planted by societal norms or pressure from those around you.

2. Stop worrying about what other people think. 
This one can be a bit challenging. If you are surrounded by non-supportive people, or even those who have the best intentions but always have an opinion about how you should and should not live your life, it can bring you down. Just keep asking yourself: is what I'm doing making me happy? Your life is yours to live and no one else's so don't worry about what that neighbor, friend, parent, or total stranger will think.

3. Try something new.
Sometimes the best way to figure out if we like something or not is by giving it a try! Have you thought it might be fun to develop a musical talent? Take up piano lessons, sing at a karaoke bar, learn to play the guitar. Whether you find out you love it or hate it, it will help you better define who you are and who you want to be.

4. Live in the moment.
Don't spend your time constantly regretting the past or worrying about the future. Look at what is happening now and be present in the moment. This one is also challenging for me. I am constantly thinking about the next thing: an upcoming vacation, next weekend, even what I'll be doing next. One thing I have found that has really helped is practicing yoga. Any sort of yoga helps me slow down, focus on my breath, and become more grateful for the moment but something about hot yoga really gets my focus and intentions set. (If you haven't tried hot yoga yet, why not make that your something new? Check out my guide for newbies here.)

5. Focus on your health.
Keep yourself healthy and active so you can enjoy the things you want to enjoy. Not sure where to start? I recommend picking one thing to focus on and then slowly adding things in. For example, start with trying to eat healthfully then when you feel like you've got that under your belt, add in some physical activities. Food seem a bit complicated? Then start with your fitness; join a baseball team, take up bowling, start running a few days a week. Whatever it is, make sure its fun and sustainable. and don't think you have to start by signing up for a marathon or becoming a builder. Remember, its about effort - not perfection. Start with what you are able to do and just keep building from there. 

Comments

Popular Posts