Start Your Day Off Right With This Simple, Productive Morning Routine

Morning Routine

I haven’t always been a morning person. I remember the days of hitting snooze about 15 times before shuffling into the shower and then running off to work. I was almost always stressed, frequently late, and never really felt productive until about 2 pm. I used to hear about “morning people” and wish that could be me. 

After a while, I realized I would need to change my habits in order for my mornings to change. I started reading articles about morning routines and the benefits of having a productive morning. I started trying out tips I found on Pinterest and keeping a mental history of what seemed to work and what didn’t. After about a year, I found my groove and I was finally able to create the type of morning I’ve always wanted to have. Today I’ll share the five steps I do each morning to help me feel less stressed and more productive.

On a side note, did you know that having a productive morning routine isn’t just helpful, it actually has an effect of your health and well-being? Studies show people who are more productive in the mornings are happier, healthier, and even have a higher satisfaction with life. If you’re dreaming of becoming a morning person, try these steps and let me know if it works for you!

Waking up this morning, I smile.

Step 1: Get out of bed.
This is by far the hardest part of sticking to a morning routine. Sometimes I tell myself that I need those few extra minutes of sleep because I slept poorly the night before.  Other times the bed is just so warm and inviting it’s hard to leave.  The inner-me is pretty convincing, so now when I’m trying to talk myself into ten extra minutes of sleep I make a compromise. I tell myself that I’ll get out of bed and walk into the living room. If I still feel like a zombie when I get there, I can take a cat nap on the couch. 

I love this technique because it essentially tricks myself into getting out of my warm cozy cocoon thereby cueing my body to begin waking up. The twenty or so steps to the couch help to get my blood pumping; the sunlight coming in through the sliding glass door helps my brain recognize that it’s time to wake up; and the cold couch isn’t warm enough to lure me back to sleep. Typically I’m already awake by the time I make it to the couch. Take that inner-me!

Step 2: Think of three things you are grateful for.
Gratitude is incredibly beneficial to our well-being. It fights depression, improves our physical health, and even boosts our self-esteem! Try to spend a few minutes each day focusing on the things you are thankful for.

Step 3: Get moving.
Aim for at least 10 to 15 minutes of some sort of physical activity. Whether its walking the dog or getting in a cardio session, you’ll jump start your metabolism and boost your energy levels.

Step 4: Do a quick chore.
Pick one or two chores that you can do in 15 minutes or less. I’ll usually do the dishes (if I didn’t do them the night before) and tidy up the house. 15 minutes later, the house is tidy, I’ve already accomplished something productive, and I feel like I’m ready to take on the world.

Step 5: Get yourself ready.
Shower, get dressed, and eat breakfast – even if it’s the weekend. Trust me, I know how tempting it is to lounge in my pajamas until lunch but I am SO much more productive when I actually take time to get dressed.  Hoping to get out and go to the farmer’s market? Put on that cute-but-casual outfit you’ve been saving in your closet. Is your schedule full of chores? Put on something you’d wear to work out in or even that pair of pants you use in the garden. Matching what your outfit to the type of day you want to have will instantly put you on the right path.

And don’t forget to your breakfast! Eating a healthy breakfast helps improve your concentration and performance and even boosts your hand-eye coordination. 

And that’s it – you’re ready to conquer your day.  Do you have any other tips on how to start your day off right? I’d love to hear them! Shoot me an email or post a comment below. 

Want more recipes, crafts, and tips for creating a balanced, healthy life? Follow my Facebook page for (almost) daily tidbits and inspiration. Hope to see you there!

Comments

Popular Posts