Why I Love Being a Modern Homemaker


I have a confession: I love being a homemaker. I’ve always loved it, actually, but friends are still surprised when they hear me mention those words for the first time.

Maybe it’s the fact that I work full time that is throwing them off, or maybe it’s because I also happen to be a rather strong, independent, modern day woman, but I just don’t see those things as being contradictory to being a homemaker.

For me, a “modern” homemaker is anyone who chooses to manage the home. It doesn’t mean that you have to stay at home or play the submissive role. It just means you take pride in cleaning, cooking, and taking care of your loved ones. Still sound a little strange? Here’s a few of the things I love most about being a modern homemaker: I am by no means perfect; my house gets messy and I have no problem ordering a pizza or going out for dinner every so often but, on most days, being a homemaker is something that brings me joy.

1. It’s my gift to give to my husband.
For me, homemaking is an act of love. Cleaning the house, cooking dinner, scheduling appointments… it’s all something I choose to do for my husband because I love him, because I want to take care of him, and because I want to cherish him. I actually get my feathers a bit ruffled when I hear people describing homemaking as a “duty” or as something I have to do as a wife. Not only do I find it a bit condescending, I feel like it diminishes the beauty in the role. Many people (both men and women) make a choice to play the role of homemaker. We put the effort in, not because someone told us it’s our job or because that’s how we were raised, but because we wanted to - because we see the value in it. I enjoy being able to help my hubby relax after a long day at work, to help make sure he has healthy (and yummy) food to eat. Homemaking is a gift I give to my husband and I take pride in the fact that I am able to give such a gift.


2. It’s a creative outlet.
Everyone manages their home in their own way. Cleaning styles are different, eating styles are different, the possibilities are limitless. If I want to try making pasta from scratch, I can. If I decide I want to become a master gardener, I can. There is no set rules of being a modern homemaker, and that’s part of what makes it so enjoyable for me. Not to mention all the creative aspects that come into play when it comes to cooking, decorating, hosting, etc.

3. It’s a challenge.
I work full time so keeping a tidy home, making sure meals are made, and still finding time to work out, cuddle with the hubby, and handle anything else that comes our way can be one heck of a challenge (at least for me). Thank goodness for things like freezer meals, text messaging, calendar reminders, and modernized appliances! The challenge in it though is also one of the things that makes it interesting. There will always be a better/easier/faster way to do things and therefore, I will always have something to strive for. Good bye boredom!

4. It’s fun.
Yes, the chores can get old but there is so much more to homemaking than those! There’s new crafts to try, recipes to create, traditions to establish. One day is never exactly like the next. I am always learning something new and I love that. Add in the fact that it helps make my husband’s life better and what’s not to love?

There are tons of other reasons I love being a homemaker but I’d say those are probably my main four. Enough about me though! What about you? Do you consider yourself a modern homemaker? What are your favorite parts of the role? Better yet, send all those tips, tricks, recipes, etc. my way! I’d love hearing about how you do things. Shoot me an email or post a comment below. 

Want more recipes, crafts, and tips for creating a balanced, healthy life? Follow my Facebook page for (almost) daily tidbits and inspiration. Hope to see you there!

Xoxo,
Kate

Comments

Popular Posts