Goal Setting & Workout Wednesdays

This past Monday my gym started their second BRIK session of the year. BRIK is essentially a boot camp which combines strength training sessions with yoga and organized runs while helping you focus on fueling your workouts with proper nutrition. My favorite part about BRIK is that no matter what level you are at, you have something you're working towards. The new girls in class may be focusing on gaining strength or leaning down while KAT girls (girls who have done at least 2 BRIKs) may be focusing on reaching a new PR. The point is, no matter where you're starting - everyone in class is spending 6 weeks focused on improving themselves.

This first week of BRIK is all about goal setting. This session, I decided to create a goal sheet where I can visually see my progress as well as how much further I have to go.

My goal sheet is made up of four things: a calendar where I can mark off the days that I have completed and list the goals I met for that day; a place to log my successes each week; a list of goals (daily goals) that I am aiming for; and a list of bonus goals (weekly goals).

You probably noticed one thing right off the bat: none of my goals include a specific weight or magic number. While I do have a goal range in mind, I purposefully did not want to assign a weight to get to in these next 6 weeks. If you're currently setting goals in a fitness or eating program, I'd recommend fighting the urge to list a goal weight. Why you ask? Several reasons really.

1.) By picking a magic number as a goal, you are subliminally telling yourself that once you hit that number everything will be great. Many may even feel that once they reach that number they will suddenly be happy, beautiful, or not have to work at their health/fitness anymore. None of those are true. A number on the scale will not make you happy long term. A number on the scale will not make you beautiful or smart or worthy. And a number on the scale does not mean you don't have to try anymore; in fact I've heard many people who have lost weight say maintenance was just as difficult (in some cases more so) than the process of losing weight.

2.) When you are working on creating a list of goals, it can be easy to be over optimistic when it comes to weight loss. Some will pick a number, say 10 lbs, to reach during a period of time. Others may choose a certain amount to loose each week (ex. 2lbs/wk is a pretty common goal I hear). While those are all possible - weight loss is incredibly difficult to predict, especially if you are including strength training in your program (which you should). Muscle really does weigh more than fat. So if you're gaining lean muscle (which will make you look and feel incredible) you may not be seeing the scale go down on a consistent basis. Additionally, plateaus are unavoidable. Eventually, your body is going to need a moment to stabilize and, if you are constantly watching the scale as your measure of progress, it can make you feel like your hard work is doing nothing.

3.) I want the progress I make during these 6 weeks to be long term gains. That means that I want to focus on creating the healthy habits that will stick with me long after the summer has ended. If you're only focused on short term goals, it can be easy to slip back into the bad habits that got you to that place to begin with.

However, short term goals can help you keep on track and make you feel like you are succeeding, even if you aren't seeing the scale move or feeling your body change. For that reason, I set my goal sheet up with several daily and weekly goals:

Daily Goals:
1.) Logging my meals. I like to use online applications like MyFitnessPal, but old fashioned journaling will work just as well if that's more your style. The key is finding something that you can stick with.

2.) Be active for at least 30 minutes a day. On my gym days, I'm aiming for an additional 30 minutes, not including the hour I spend in class. It doesn't need to be extremely strenuous though. If I kicked my butt in the gym, I may just aim for a 30 minute walk with my pup rather than another run that evening.

3.) Drink 80oz of water. This one has gotten tougher for me in recent years, but I know how important it is so I'm making it a main focus. Water plays a HUGE role in weight loss and overall health. More importantly, if you're trying to lose weight or get leaner, water helps the body metabolize fat and can even increase the rate at which you burn calories.

I once had a client who had hit a plateau for over a month. We reviewed his diet and his exercise, and everything had looked to be in place. When it came to his water consumption though, he was way under where he needed to be. One week of drinking the water his body needed and he started dropping again (at a very nice pace).

4.) Wake up at 5:30am. Even on weekends! I'm not going to lie, this is the one I struggle with most. I LOVE sleeping in, and if I'm tired sleeping in often seems like the answer to help me feel rejuvenated. But your body likes routine. Waking up at the same time every morning will help stabilize your body's circadian rhythm. Your circadian rhythm is what regulates the periods of sleepiness and wakefulness during the day. If you're sleep deprived, your bodies dips into sleepiness or wakefulness will be more extreme than if you've gotten the appropriate amount of sleep. If you're continually waking up at different times (5:30am compared to 10am, let's say) your body's circadian rhythm is thrown off and you'll end up feeling awake when you want to go to bed or sleepy when its time to hit the gym.

Weekly Goals:
1. Run twice a week. Since my half marathon last year, I haven't been able to get back into my groove. This session I want to start adding it back in. Running will help me lean down and build up my endurance for my more intense workouts. Plus, if I start getting back into my routine, I'll be able to join in all of the super fun 10ks I keep hearing about at the last minute. :)

2. Complete my pull-up routine twice a week. My ultimate goal of this session is to be able to do at least one strict pull-up. When I first started Kaia, I couldn't even use the band. I used a resistance band to practice wide lateral pull downs until I was able to get in to a band. Now, I've set my eye on the prize - one full strict pull-up. I can do it, I know I can, but its going to take a lot of work to get me there.

3. Prepare my weekly meals on Sundays. Who doesn't love meal prep? Its what will save you during a busy week where you're too stressed or tired to have the willpower to say no to mindlessly snacking in the evenings. I'll be posting my meals each week so be sure to stay tuned for that. (And please share what you're doing! I love new ideas, especially about easy, make ahead meals!)

Now onto Workout Wednesdays! 
In order to reach my goal of being able to complete a strict pull-up, I created the routine below. All of these moves will help you build up the strength you need to do that perfect pull-up. As an added bonus, these moves are all travel friendly. I'll be doing this routine at our neighborhood park, so I needed something that didn't require gym equipment. Feel free to mix and match, or even reduce the number of repetitions if you are just starting out.
I'll be trying to work this into my routine twice a week and upping the repetitions as I get stronger. Give it a shot and let me know how it goes! And I'll be sure to keep you posted on my progress. Trust me, the day I realize I'm able to do a strict pull-up, there will be photos. So many photos. :)

Comments

Popular Posts